NOTE FROM RJON: I originally shared this lesson only on our private discussion forum.
Then some of our Members encouraged me to share it with a wider audience – our Members are a very generous group!
And then some of the things I received in emails and in responses told me I'd really struck an important and positive chord. With several "You MUST Share This With The World!" type of admonitions.
So here it is. Remember, there's SO MUCH business out there that we can and should all be happy lawyers who make more money!
I hope the below lesson gives you some important things to think about over the weekend. Maybe even the courage to take action on something today!
For Distribution To Members Only:
OK, so the purpose of this email…You have all heard me talk about the importance of "client grading" and how critically important it is to the long-term success of your law firm to have and enforce a "No Assholes" policy.
I never "enjoy" enforcing our No Assholes Policy.
In fact I think if you read between the lines below, what you'll see isn't so much an "asshole" as much as a person operating from a place deep in fear.
Still, we can help anyone. But as soon as we try to help everyone it's going to ruin us for our best clients/members like all of you.
And you deserve me and me and my team at our best!
Since you're a Member I wanted to demonstrate to you a "No Assholes" policy in-action below
(NOTE: The only editing I've done to the email string below is change the order to read top to bottom instead of bottom to top, I've redacted the name of this (former) member of our group, and I've highlighted the time sequence so you can follow the conversation more easily 😉
From: Lxxxxx Xxxxxxxx <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: How to Manage a Small Law Firm Customer
I, in no way, shape, or form, authorized TWO transactions of $750 to be taken from my account within one week of each other. I did not receive 30 days worth of service to even judge your program before you took more money out of my account.
I want my $1500 back. I am happy to overnight your materials back. I received them yesterday – they're still in the box.
From: Alejandra Leibovich
Note that I did not cc anyone on the private email below as my purpose was to educate and enforce boundaries not to embarrass
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM, RJon Robins <[email protected]> wrote:
* The Member has tangible and objectively quantifiable goals that excite him/her.
* The Member respects my staff and appreciates them for the very challenging work that they do servicing and keeping hundreds of lawyers happy from all around the world.
* The Member responds to the mistakes that we make in our business w
* The Member believes that the best investment s/he can make is an investment in him/herself.
* The Member cooperates and supports our policies
* The Member is collaborative and intellectually generous with the Group.
* Good sense of humor and not easily offended by liberal use of the "F" word especially when it's so richly called for in an explanation!
* The Member thinks it's cool that I work from home, with my dog and often from remote and sometimes exotic places, so there may be the occasional odd sound in the background.
* The Member does the work required to translate the lessons, tools, insights, ideas, templates and instructions we provide into tangible results.
* The Member is honest with us and him/herself
* The Member remains current on their financial obligations to us and otherwise follows the rules we have established and which are designed to help all of our Members get the best results possible.
* Positive, prosperity-based outlook on life – no whiners or crybabies allowed!
Subject: Re: How to Manage a Small Law Firm Customer Receipt/Purchase Confirmation — EXCUSE ME???
I don't do business with companies that double-charge me.
Your materials have been mailed to the address they were sent from.
Refund my money.
OK friends, so there you have it. I sincerely hope this demonstration inspires you to document your own N.A.P. and emboldens you to enforce it. Remember, happy lawyers make more money!
p.s. Especially if you haven't been to one yet, I want you to give SERIOUS attention to the next (and last) Mastermind we're hosting this year. We have only 6 seats left as of this morning.
We will DEFINITELY sell out so I don't wat you to miss-out! http://www.howtomanageasmalllawfirm.com/mastermind/